Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Episode 9: Revelations


Episode 9
REVELATIONS

Alex Maxwell couldn't believe the relationship betweenPatrick Donovan and his wife, Carly. She had barely been in the house less than a few hours and she could already tell she and Carly Donovan would never get along.

She wasn't exactly sure what made her suspicious. Maybe it was the way Carly had to have control over the situation. Even Mama Boyd threw the blond tyrant a few pointed glances.

"I've never met a more frustrating woman." Mama Boydmuttered when Carly pulled Patrick out on the porch to "talk." Alex had a feeling those two spent a lot of time away from people "talking."

"Why do you put up with her? She seems to act overly controlling and doesn't even realize she is so obnoxious." Alex brought the coffee pot over and refilled Mama Nadine's cup.

"Thanks, girlie," she said. "Patrick and Rand are good friends, but I think my lucky stars that she usually stays away from here and out of my hair. She doesn't approve of Rand and Patrick's relationship. Never has. She's all consumed jealous of it." Nadine shook her head. "I don't understand it one bit."

***

Carly was more annoyed than usual. "Okay, you're seen your sister. She's fine. Can we go now? Suzie doesn't like being around any of the Boyds.

Patrick grabbed Suzie out of Carly's grasp and the baby suddenly stopped crying. "If you ask me, the only person upsetting Suzie is you." He paced back and forth patting the baby on the back. "Didn't you say you had a friend's house to go to? He said suddenly remembering her comment about someplace she needed to be when news of the train derailment had hit him.

"Well, yes, I do, but..." Carly shifted uncomfortably from one foot to another. Patrick was becoming more aggressive since Angela's supposed accident. It was a repercussion she hadn't anticipated. Tonight, she would plan something that made him forget he ever had a sister. "What about Suzie? You know how my friends are around her."

"I'll watch her," Patrick said in a clipped tone. "You just go to your more important appointment. We'll be fine. Just fine." He tossed her the keys and she disappeared behind the side of the house where Rand had parked the cars.

***

Alex didn't know what had drawn her outside at that exact moment, but whatever it was, it must have been tinted with divine intervention. Carly was standing by their car with her back to Alex. She was deep in conversation on a cell phone. Her voice carried on the wind and what she overheard was enlightening.

"You said that the baby would bind him to me. You said it was the perfect answer, Clay." Well, it's not working! The only people he cares about are Rand, and Angela and that baby!"

Angela couldn't believe what she was hearing. Carly was so insecure about her own life, she had a baby with a man just to keep him. According to Nadine, Carly hated Rand because of his close relationship with Patrick.

"What a nutcase," Alex whispered. "I may not remember anything but my name, but at least I know I shouldn't go to such depths to make a man love me."

Carly was still unaware Alex was so close. But the woman's next words had her reeling.

"We have to get rid of that baby, Rand AND Angela. Then Patrick will be mine forever."

She listened to the caller on the cell phone then burst out with a line of swear words.

"I don't care about that damn baby. She's not even mine! You will help me fix this, Clay. Or I swear to God I'll tell everyone and his brother what you did. Don't cross me brother-boy."

Carly snapped the phone closed, jumped into her car and sped away.

Alex hadn't heard the footsteps come up behind her. A shaky hand rested on her shoulder.
"Oh, my, God. I can't believe it." It was Rand.

***

He couldn't believe his luck. The damn thing was locked. Nick Boyd punched at the door. The bed and breakfast had to be over one hundred years old. How hard could it be to pick an ancient lock?

He kneeled down to get a better look at the keyhole when a woman's voice sounded from the other side of the door.

"Hello, Ms. Hawkins," an elderly woman said. "I hope your day went well."

"It was long and trying. And it reminded me of why I quit this job three years ago."

"Then, my dear, if you detest it so, why do you do it?"

"I have to," she muttered. "For my daughter's sake. I have to find my baby. Then I'll turn away and never return to profiling again."

Nick placed a shaky hand on the closet door. "Daughter? When had Carrie had a daughter?"

"Oh, my, you poor dear. If I can do anything, you just let me know."

"Thank you, Mrs. Peabody. I really appreciate it."

Nick could hear Carrie's footsteps fade away as she retired to her room. He sat dumbfounded on the floor of the dark closet for a long time. Could this baby be his?

It seemed like hours later when Mrs. Peabody's voice penetrated the fog in Nick's brain.

"Oh, shoot. I forgot to give Ms. Hawkins this note." The elderly woman was silent for a moment, then quipped, "Could be bad news. It will keep until tomorrow morning."

Nick sighed with relief. He had to get a look at that note.

When he was sure the lobby was empty, Nick expertly picked the lock, retrieved the envelope from Carrie's mail slot and returned to the police station where he could examine it more thoroughly.

***

John Holland was not used to dealing with people like Kylie Hawkins. The woman had wylie ways of instantly discombobulating him.

She had survived the bombing of her apartment only to suspect he had something to do with it. It had only taken her minutes to effectively elude him. And that fact irked him because he was a seasoned Secret Service agent. This situation didn't say much for his skills.

"Dammit!" He jogged down the end of the block past all the fire trucks. There was no doubt abou tit. His only lead to Alex had quite effectively vanished.

***

Kylie Hawkins watched from across the street as John realized she was gone. The red flashing lights from the fire engines played on his skin like constantly changing patchwork patterns.

She didn't know if she could trust the man or not. All she did know was that someone was after Alex and they were willing to kill to hide what they considered a threat. She didn't know what knowledge she could possess worth killing for, but she did know she wasn't going to hang around and wait for someone to kill her in her sleep.

"So much tragedy," her friend murmured. "First the train accident, now this."

Kylie was taken aback. "Train accident?"

Her friend had barely placed the newspaper in front of her when Kylie grabbed it up. The article clearly depicted the derailment along with a photo of the wreckage and the one survivor -- Alex Maxwell!

She kissed the newsprint. "Thank you, God!"

She had to find Alex, not only to help her, but to have her explain what the hell was going on. She grabbed up her purse, stuffed the paper inside and headed out the door. The town where Alex had derailed wasn't far. By morning she would know exactly what was going on.

Meanwhile, outside, a few blocks away, someone else had discovered the location of Alex Maxwell.

"Soon you will be out of my life forever," a female voice said, talking to the newspaper print of Alex. "Very soon you will pay for what you have done."

No comments:

Post a Comment